TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran’s prosecutor general said he is pressing on with his call on the Foreign Ministry to take diplomatic action on the US decision to seize the Central Bank of Iran’s assets in an American bank.
Speaking to reporters in Tehran on Friday, Mohammad Jafar Montazeri said he is pursuing the issue in a determined way.
He had already sent a letter to the Foreign Ministry, urging tough action on the US court ruling.
Montazeri had also proposed setting up a juridical task force, made up of top Iranian judges, to take action, within the framework of international law, against the US measure.
Back in April, US Supreme Court upheld the Congress and President Barack Obama’s actions to hold Iran financially responsible for the 1983 bombing that killed 241 Marines at their barracks in the Lebanese capital, Beirut.
The ruling allows the families of the Marines and victims of other attacks that courts have linked to Iran to seize some $2 billion in assets held in New York’s Citibank, belonging to the Central Bank of Iran (CBI), which has been blocked under US sanctions.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told the New Yorker in an interview published on April 25 that the court ruling will put an end to the “credibility of the US justice system”.
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi has also slammed the US court ruling as “invalid”, describing the move as “an international banditry.”
By Tasnim News Agency