Yemen-crisis

Yemen’s Ansarullah says will respond to ceasefire breaches

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A member of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement who is involved in UN-brokered peace talks in Kuwait to resolve the Yemeni crisis said the movement reserves the right to show appropriate reaction to any violation of ceasefire by Saudi-led military coalition.

In an interview with Yemen’s al-Masirah TV, Hamza al-Houthi said serious efforts have been made in negotiations over the past days to ensure that the current ceasefire will hold.

The Yemeni delegation has made it clear to the UN that Ansarullah will reserve the right to adopt the proper stance if clashes intensify and the ceasefire is breached, he underlined.

The truce was announced by the UN special envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed earlier this month as a step to calm the situation ahead of the negotiations between the warring sides.

Ansarullah says while the negotiations are underway in Kuwait, the Saudi-led coalition is continuing its acts of aggression and bombarding Yemen’s various regions, like the southwestern province of Taiz.

Back on December 15, Yemen’s warring sides attended UN-brokered peace talks in Switzerland with the aim of reaching a solution to the country’s conflict. The talks led to a shaky truce that was repeatedly breached mainly by Saudis before they officially announced an end to it on January 2.

Saudi Arabia launched an aggression on Yemen in late March 2015 in a bid to return former fugitive president Hadi to power. Nearly 9,400 Yemenis, including 4,000 women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.

Yemenis, in return, have been carrying out retaliatory attacks on the Saudi forces deployed in the country as well as targets inside Saudi Arabia.

By Tasnim News Agency