Turkey’s Erdogan vows revenge for deadly Ankara blast

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed revenge against those responsible for the Ankara deadly blast that claimed the lives of at least 28 people.

“Our determination to respond in kind to attacks taking place inside and outside our borders is getting stronger with such acts,” Erdogan said in a statement issued after the blast on Wednesday.

He added that his country will not “shy away from using its right to self-defense” when in danger.

“We will continue our fight against the pawns that carry out such attacks, which know no moral or humanitarian bounds, and the forces behind them with more determination every day,” he added.

Erdogan also canceled a scheduled visit to the Azerbaijani capital Baku following the deadly attack in the Turkish capital which also injured at least 61 other people.

A scheduled Thursday EU mini-summit on the refugee crisis between Turkey and 11 EU countries was also canceled after Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu scrapped plans for a Brussels visit.

International condemnation

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari severely condemned the attack and offered condolences to the families of the victims and the Turkish nation. He noted that such crimes show the necessity for jointly battling terrorism as a global threat.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel also condemned the deadly bombing, adding, “In the battle against those responsible for these inhuman acts we are on the side of Turkey.”

A firefighter vehicle is seen near the explosion site in Ankara, Turkey, February 17, 2016. (Reuters)

“I’m telling the Turkish people: we as Germans are sharing your pain,” she said.

In addition, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg issued a statement offering his condolences to the families of the victims of the car bombing.

He noted that such actions can never be justified and that “NATO allies stand shoulder to shoulder in the fight against terrorism.”

The US also strongly condemned the attack while reaffirming its solidarity with Turkey. “We reaffirm our strong partnership with our NATO ally Turkey in combating the shared threat of terrorism attacks,” said deputy State Department spokesman Mark Toner.

So far no organization has claimed responsibility for the attack, which occurred near a military complex.

By Press TV