Top security official: Iran trying suspects behind Saudi Embassy raid

TEHRAN (FNA)- Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani said the trial of suspects arrested over last month’s attacks on the Saudi embassy and mission will start soon.

“The trial of suspects who were allegedly behind the raids on the Saudi embasy and mission will open soon; the Judiciary is handling all cases,” Shamkhani told reporters on the sidelines of a forum in Tehran on Tuesday.

Angry protesters raided the Saudi embassy and mission after Riyadh executed prominent Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr along with 46 others on January 2. Human rights organizations condemned Riyadh for the move and for failing to address the rights situation in the kingdom. They say Riyadh has persistently implemented repressive policies that stifle freedom of expression, association, and assembly.

Judiciary Spokesman Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei announced in January that Iran detained some 100 suspects in relation to the attacks on the Saudi embassy and mission.

“All Iranian officials have condemned the attacks,” he told reporters, adding that due to the lack of evidence some of the suspects were released.

According to the official, the judiciary and the police are still looking into the case as well as the details of the “condemnable” attacks on January 2 in Tehran and Mashhad. He, however, didn’t rule out the possibility of “foreign involvement” in the suspicious incidents.

His remarks came after Iran’s Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations Gholamali Khoshrou in a letter to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon wrote that Tehran was pursuing the case.

“Iran reiterates its commitment to compliance with the relevant international law and documents, especially Vienna Convention of 1963 on Consular Relations and Vienna Convention of 1961 on Diplomatic Relations and it will do its best to arrest all the perpetrators of the incident and prosecute them,” Khoshrou said in the letter last month.

By Fars News Agency