TEHRAN (FNA)- Commander of Iran’s Basij Volunteer Force Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Naqdi said the Saudi-led war on Yemen will continue until Riyadh completely runs out of its foreign exchange reserves.
“The Americans have so far made $200bln from selling bombs and weaponry to the Saudis in the ongoing war on Yemen,” Naqdi said, addressing a large crowd of Basij forces in Tehran on Tuesday.
Stressing that the war against Yemen will only end when the Saudi foreign exchange reserves also dry up, he added, “The US seeks to get hold of Saudi foreign exchange reserves, purchase its oil firms, and keep the war machine going in Yemen.”
His comments come as human rights groups, the European parliament, and the UN have already expressed concerns about airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, in support of the internationally recognized government.
Thousands of civilians have been killed since the full-blown war broke out in March, according to the UN. A million other people have been displaced and the country is now at serious risk of famine.
The Saudi foreign minister, Adel al-Jubeir, had said in January that his country had nothing to hide. A host of foreign officials have been posted to the Yemen command and control center, he said, have been able to scrutinize its air campaign, and were satisfied by its safeguards.
“We have British officials and American officials and officials from other countries in our command and control center. They know what the target list is and they have a sense of what it is that we are doing and what we are not doing,” he told journalists in London after meeting British ministers and US secretary of state, John Kerry.
The foreign military officers did not play any role in choosing targets, Jubeir said. “We pick the targets, they don’t. I don’t know technically exactly what part of the process they are in, but I do know they are aware of the target lists.”