Tehran, Jan 13, IRNA – Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) confirmed on Wednesday that two US navy boats are in Iran’s custody.
IRGC Public Relations Department, in a statement released on Wednesday morning, declared that the US navy boats entered Iranian territorial waters illegally.
The Associated Press had quoted Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook that two of the United States Navy boats are in Iran’s custody after entering the country’s waters, but the crew will be returned ‘promptly.’
Cook also claimed that US had been in contact with Iran and rested assured that they would be returned.
‘We have been in contact with Iran and have received assurances that the crew and the vessels will be returned promptly,’ said the spokesman.
The boats were said to have been moving between Kuwait and Bahrain and were captured near Farsi Island.
US Secretary of State John Kerry also contacted Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif upon learning the matter.
Kerry ‘personally engaged with Zarif on this issue to try to get to this outcome,’ an official said.
He later told CNN that he expected the sailors to be released ‘very soon.’