The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has rejected a Russian-proposed draft statement condemning a recent terrorist attack by the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in the Syrian city of Homs.
On Saturday, at least 16 people were killed and more than 54 others injured when a car bomb went off near a hospital in Homs’ al-Zahra neighborhood. A few minutes after the blast, a gas cylinder exploded inside a nearby shop, injuring a number of people who had rushed to the site of the bombing for help.
Following the deadly attack in Homs, the Syrian Foreign Ministry sent two identical letters to the UNSC and the office of the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, denouncing the terrorist raid.
Syria is suffering from “a series of ongoing crimes against humanity,” the letters read, urging the international community not to turn a blind eye to terrorism.
Following the call by Syria, Russia drafted a statement, the contents of which have not been fully disclosed. Reports only say that the draft statement condemned the Homs attack in particular.
The draft statement was blocked by the United States, a diplomatic source at the United Nations headquarters told Russia’s TASS news agency on Sunday.
“The American delegation offered amendments that were unacceptable for the Russian side. So, the statement was not adopted,” the source said, without explaining.
TASS said the US and Russian “diplomatic missions” also declined to comment on the issue.
RIA, however, cited a source of its own as saying that “some UNSC members disagreed with certain provisions in the document.”
Syria has been gripped by foreign-backed militancy since March 2011. The crisis has so far claimed the lives of over 250,000 people and displaced nearly half of the country’s population within or beyond its borders.
By Press TV