Cut in number of centrifuges expected in days: Iran’s deputy FM

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A certain number of centrifuge machines at Iran’s nuclear facilities will be mothballed within the next few days as part of Tehran’s undertakings under a comprehensive nuclear deal with world powers, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said.

Speaking at a television talk show on Monday night, Araqchi said preparations are being made by the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) for a cut in the number of the centrifuges in Fordow and Natanz, as stipulated in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

Araqchi, himself a senior negotiator in nuclear talks between Iran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, the US, Britain, France and Germany), noted that the uranium enrichment machines have not been shut yet, but that may happen within the next few days.

He further noted that the compulsory changes in the Arak heavy-water reactor and the stockpile of the country’s enriched uranium will not take place as long as the case on the so-called PMD (possible military dimensions) accusations against Iran has not been closed by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Board of Governors.

Earlier on Monday, Iran’s nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi had said the country has started preliminary works for implementing the JCPOA.

“We have launched preliminary work,” Salehi said. “In particular, we are cutting the number of centrifuges, including at the Natanz nuclear facility. However, the full implementation of the agreement will require time.”

Iran and the Group 5+1 (also known as the P5+1 or E3+3)  on July 14 reached a conclusion on a 159-page nuclear agreement that would terminate all nuclear-related sanctions imposed on Tehran over its nuclear energy program.

The agreement was officially adopted on October 18, and is going to take effect within the next two months.

By Tasnim News Agency