Qom, Oct 20, IRNA — Deputy foreign minister for consular and parliamentary affairs said that the Iranian officials have been seeking the causes that led to September 24 Hajj disaster.
At a local ceremony here, Hassan Qashqavi said Iran has told the Saudi rulers that their incompetence led to the tragic Hajj tragedy in Mina, near the holy city of Mecca.
The Hajj disaster occurred on September 24 after two large masses of pilgrims converged at a crossroads in Mina during the symbolic ceremony of the Stoning of Satan in Jamarat.
Saudi Arabia claims nearly 770 people were killed in the fatal incident, but according to officials at Iran’s Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization about 4,700 people, including 464 Iranian pilgrims, lost their lives in the trageic event.
However, foreign officials put the death toll at 1,674.
The bodies of 399 Iranian victims have been repatriated so far.
Saudi Arabia has come under harsh criticism over its role in and handling of the tragic incident.