Commander: 65 percent of narcotics smuggled to Iran via Pakistan

TEHRAN (FNA)- Commander of the anti-narcotics squad of Iran’s Law Enforcement Police General Ali Moayyedi announced that over half of the illicit drugs smuggled to Iran comes from neighboring Pakistan.

“Some 65 percent of the narcotics are smuggled to Iran from Pakistan and the remaining 35 percent from Afghanistan,” General Moayyedi said, addressing a press conference in the city of Mashhad, Northeastern Iran, on Monday.

He also blamed neighboring Afghanistan for the flow of 35 percent of illicit drugs entering Iran.

Earlier today, Iran’s Deputy Police Chief Brigadier General Eskandar Momeni announced that the drug combat squads have seized more than 200,000 kilograms of illicit drugs in countrywide operations in the first four months of the current Iranian year (March 21-July 23).

“The Iranian police seized 200 tons of narcotics over the past four months,” Brigadier General Moayyedi told reporters.

He noted that the police illicit drugs’ seizure during March 21-July 23 period shows 18 percent rise compared to last year’s corresponding period.

General Momeni said opium, crystal and heroin comprise most of the illicit drugs seized from drug traffickers in Iran.

Pakistan and Afghanistan are two origins of producing and trafficking of various types of narcotic in the region.

The anti-drug squads of the Iranian Law Enforcement Police have intensified their countrywide campaign against drug-trafficking through staging long-term systematic operations since 2010.

The Iranian anti-narcotic police have always staged periodic, but short-term, operations against drug traffickers and dealers, but the latest reports – which among others indicate an improved and systematic dissemination of information – reveal that the world’s most forefront and dedicated anti-narcotic force (as UN drug-campaign assessments put it) has embarked on a long-term countrywide plan to crack down on the drug trade since five years ago.

By Fars News Agency