TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian deplored the Saudi aggression against Yemen as a strategic mistake, and said Riyadh is playing with ceasefire.
“Saudi Arabia committed a strategic mistake in Yemen and played with fire,” Amir Abdollahian told FNA on Tuesday.
He noted that the Riyadh government is violating the ceasefire in Yemen and it is not taking it seriously.
The Iranian deputy foreign minister described the human conditions in Yemen as tragic, and said, “All countries should help the Yemeni people and the UN to halt aggressions and break the humanitarian siege of the country.”
Amir Abdollahian said that the crisis in Yemen can only be solved through a political approach, and added, “Tehran sees resort to force in Yemen as the root cause of increasing deterioration of insecurity and spread of terrorism in the region.
On Sunday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham censured the Saudi bombardment of residential areas in Yemen, and asked international organizations, specifically the UN, to take urgent steps to back the Yemeni civilians against these attacks.
Afkham rapped the Saudi airstrikes on residential areas in Yemen’s Ta’iz which resulted in the death and injury of 130 civilians, and said that “airstrikes on residential areas and killing innocent people, especially women and children, is a violation of the international principles of the international law.”
“Unceasing strikes on Yemen will fuel extremism and increase activities of terroristic groups such as the al-Qaeda,” she said.
Saudi Arabia has been striking Yemen for 125 days now to restore power to fugitive president Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by Ansarullah revolutionaries of the Houthi movement.
Despite Riyadh’s claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi warplanes are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.
The Monarchy’s attacks have so far claimed the lives of at least 5,313 civilians, mostly women and children.