Appraisal of Iran agreement should be fair, realistic: Iran Judiciary chief

Any judgment of the outcomes of the talks between Iran and the P5+1 countries on the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program should be “realistic and fair,” Iran’s Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Sadeq Amoli Larijani says.

“The nuclear issue and the agreement reached is a national issue; and in appraising it, nothing unrealistic or against national interests should be said,” the Iranian Judiciary chief said on Sunday.

He pointed to the West’s long-standing refusal to recognize Iran’s right to nuclear energy, saying, “Now, the issue has been accepted and dismissing this fact and claiming that the agreement has brought no achievement for Iran is the denial of the truth and [shows] a cynical view of the agreement.”

He appreciated the guidance and support that Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei provided for the negotiating team, saying if it was not for the support by and the insistence of the Leader on national interests, the West would never acknowledge Iran’s right and the talks would have taken a different course.

“In a fair assessment, one should say that what has been achieved has been the sum of the capabilities of the country and the negotiating team,” he said.

The representatives of Iran, the P5+1 and the EU meet during a plenary session at the UN building in Vienna, Austria, July 14, 2015. (AP photo)

On July 14, Iran and the P5+1 countries – the United States, Britain, France, China and Russia plus Germany – finalized the text of an agreement, dubbed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), in the Austrian capital of Vienna.

Under the JCPOA, limits are put on Iran’s nuclear activities in exchange for a set of commitments by the P5+1, including the removal of all economic and financial bans against the Islamic Republic.

Attacks on Yemen

Elsewhere in his remarks, Larijani referred to the inhumane attacks against Yemeni people, urging the cessation of the Saudi airstrikes against Yemen and calling on the international community to intervene to put an end to the deadly aggression.

“The Saudis should be held accountable for the attacks… they should shoulder the responsibility for their inhumane attacks,” he stressed.

Saudi Arabia launched military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a attempt to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and to restore power to fugitive former President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.

Rupert Colville, the spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said on July 21 that at least 1,693 civilians had been killed and 3,829 others injured in the Arab country since March 26. However, local sources say over 4,500 people have lost their lives in the attacks.

By Press TV