The Iran Project

Iran condemns Saudi bombing of Yemen’s Ta’izz

Yemeni civilians and security forces stand at the site of a Saudi air strike near Sana'a Airport on March 26, 2015.

Iran has condemned the Saudi airstrikes against the Yemeni province of Ta’izz, saying Riyadh is violating international human rights in the impoverished war-hit country.

“Saudi attacks on residential areas and civilian targets as well as the killing and wounding of civilians are in contradiction to international principles and norms of human rights,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said on Saturday.

She called on international bodies to take “necessary and immediate” measures to put an end to the brutal Saudi attacks on Yemen.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman urged the United Nations to work for the protection of the Yemeni people, particularly women and children, from the Saudi strikes.

Afkham also warned that continuation of the attacks on Yemen and the blockade of the country by Saudi Arabia have only led to the spread of terrorist activities.

More than 120 Yemeni people were killed and over 150 others injured in Saudi airstrikes against the southwestern province of Ta’izz on July 24.

Local sources said Saudi warplanes struck 200 residential units, housing the families of electrical engineers and technicians, in the Mukha district of the province.

Reports coming out of the area also say most of the dead bodies, including women, children and elderly, were burnt beyond recognition in the flames caused by strikes.

Saudi Arabia launched its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and to restore power to the fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.

Rupert Colville, the spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said on July 21 that over 1,690 civilians had been killed and nearly 3,830 others injured in the Arab country since March 26. However, local sources say over 4,500 people have lost their lives since the beginning of Saudi aggression against its southern neighbor.

By Press TV

Exit mobile version