Mahabad case closed in Iran’s interior ministry: Official

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran’s Interior Ministry has scrutinized and closed a case on death of a young girl who fell off a hotel balcony in the city of Mahabad early in May, a deputy minister said, saying the detained suspect has been proven to have no connection with the country’s security forces.

Speaking to Tasnim on Sunday, Deputy Interior Minister for Security and Law Enforcement Hossein Zolfaghari said the suspect, now in custody, is available for interviews to prove that he has no connection with any state organization or intelligence forces.

Police had announced earlier that the suspect is an ordinary local man that has also confessed to his involvement in the death of the young girl at the northwestern city’s Tara Hotel.

The young victim had been escaping confrontation with her family members and the hotel manager when she tried to jump from a room’s balcony to another one, but fell down and lost her life.

On May 7, a few days after the incident, a number of people set fire to the hotel after a group of local residents in the predominantly Kurdish city gathered in front of the hotel to protest against its manager.

The main reason behind such a gathering, Zolfaghari said, was “provocation by the social networks.”

By Tasnim News Agency