Riyadh should accept repercussions of blocking Iran plane: Tehran

A senior Iranian diplomat says Saudi Arabia should accept the repercussions of preventing a civilian Iranian  aircraft carrying aid for the Yemeni people from landing at the airport in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a.

Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian made the remarks on Wednesday after an Iranian cargo plane carrying medical supplies and foodstuff for crisis-hit people in Yemen was forced to return on Tuesday as Saudi warplanes were violently striking the runway at the civilian airport.

A members of the International Committee of the Red Cross stands in front of a destroyed Felix Airways plane, after it was hit in an air strike, at the international airport of Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, on April 29, 2015. (AFP Photo)

“Bombarding the Sana’a [international] airport in [Yemen] and blocking the landing of an Iranian air plane carrying medicines are regarded as an unfriendly move and Saudi Arabia should accept the consequences [of the act],” the Iranian officials said.

Amir-Abdollahian added that “Saudi Arabia’s move to create a no-fly zone in Yemen runs counter to the international law.”

Condemning the Saudi aggression against Yemen, he stressed, “The patient and resilient Yemeni people will not allow the aggression against and insult to their country to continue.”

Saudi Arabia launched its aerial attacks on Yemen on March 26 – without a United Nations mandate – in a bid to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a close ally of the kingdom, who has fled to Riyadh with members of his government.

Houthi Ansarullah fighters stand in the rubble after a Saudi airstrike in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, on April 28, 2015. © AFP

According to reports, the Saudi military campaign has so far left over 5,000 people dead or wounded.

Amir-Abdollahian further referred to the appointment of Mauritanian diplomat Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed as the UN’s new special envoy to Yemen, adding, “The United Nations Secretary General [Ban Ki-moon] and his new envoy for Yemen’s affairs are expected to end the agony of the Yemeni people caused by the blockade by immediately intervening and opening a safe route for sending in medical, food and fuel aid.”

He also touched upon the new change in the Saudi government’s structure, expressing hope that the developments will help Saudi Arabia play a constructive role in the region.

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz issued a royal decree, reshuffling the cabinet on Wednesday.

Relieving Crown Prince Muqrin bin Abdulaziz and also Foreign Minister Saud bin Faisal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of their positions was the most important change.

By Press TV