A senior Iranian Foreign Ministry official has described the Saudi crimes in Yemen as worse than those committed by Israel during its 2014 war on the Gaza Strip, saying the Riyadh regime even refuses to allow humanitarian aid delivery to the people.
Saudi Arabia has committed “unprecedented crimes” in Yemen and refused to allow humanitarian aid by the Red Cross, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, Iran’s deputy foreign minister for Arab and African Affairs, said on Monday.
“The UN and the Red Cross could not even implement a two-hour ceasefire for the delivery of vital medicines [to Yemen], and these Saudi acts are worse than the Zionists’ crimes,” he added.
Amir-Abdollahian said Israel had at least agreed to a UN request for the transfer of the wounded to hospital during the regime’s attack on the Gaza Strip last summer, but the Saudi regime has not even so far cooperated with the UN on humanitarian causes.
The senior Iranian diplomat warned that Saudi Arabia will suffer the consequences of its acts in due time.
Saudi Arabia launched its airstrikes against Yemen on March 26 – without a United Nations mandate – in a bid to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
According to reports, over 2,700 people, including women and children, have so far lost their lives in the attacks.
Earlier this month, Iran unveiled a four-point peace plan on Yemen in an attempt to end the bloodshed in the impoverished Arab country.
The plan includes hammering out a ceasefire, sending humanitarian assistance to the people affected by violence, launching an intra-Yemeni dialog, and establishing a broad-based government with the participation of all Yemeni factions.
By Press TV