Toll from Saudi war on Yemen hits 450

The death toll from Saudi-led military aggression against neighboring Yemen has climbed to nearly 450 people with more than 1,000 people so far injured in the impoverished Arab country.

According to figures released Thursday by Yemeni media outlets, at least 445 people have so far been killed since Saudi Arabia launched airstrikes on Yemen 15 days ago.

Most deaths are reported to be women and children.

The development comes as the US-backed Persian Gulf kingdom’s forces continue pounding the Yemeni territory.

Earlier on Thursday, Saudi fighter jets carried out strikes in Yemen’s capital city of Sana’a and the provinces of Taizz, Shabwah and Sa’ada.

This is while the UN special rapporteur on the human rights of internally-displaced persons, Chaloka Beyani, has warned the international community to prepare for a massive displacement and humanitarian crisis in Yemen as civilians flee the Saudi bombings and internal clashes.

The UN expert also slammed a Saudi-led airstrike which hit a refugee camp in northern Yemen on March 30, describing it as “a grave violation against some of the most vulnerable of the vulnerable civilians.”

Saudi Arabia’s military aggression against Yemen started on March 26, without a UN mandate, in a bid to restore power to the fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.

Reporting from the site of a Saudi air raid in Sana’a, Press TV correspondent said a ten-story residential building has been targeted, two stories of which have been wiped out.

A Yemeni man in the neighborhood said, “There are no militants in this area, there are just civilians.”

By Press TV