Iran ready to continue nuclear talks, but no end in sight yet

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said that Iran’s delegation is ready to continue negotiations with the P5+1 group.

LAUSANNE (Sputnik) — Iran’s delegation at the nuclear talks in Lausanne is ready to continue negotiations for as long as it takes, but as for now, the discussion has failed to reach any results, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Saturday.The Iranian envoy also told reporters that he is absolutely positive that the talks will not result in signing any document.

Araqchi added that there has been no decision yet on whether Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov will have a meeting on Sunday to discuss the Iranian nuclear program.

For over a year now, Tehran and P5+1 group of international negotiators, comprising Russia, the United States, China, the United Kingdom, France and Germany have been holding talks to come up with a comprehensive agreement that would ensure the peaceful nature of Iran’s nuclear activities.The sides have set late June 2015 as a deadline for reaching such a deal, while a political framework for the agreement is expected to be ready by March 31.

The most recent round of negotiations on the Iranian nuclear program started in Lausanne on Thursday and will last until Sunday.

Earlier on Saturday, Iranian Foreign Minister Zarif and German Foreign Minister Steinmeier told journalists that progress has been made in the nuclear talks.

By Sputnik News