TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The two sons of deposed Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak were released from prison nearly four years after they were first arrested along with their father, authorities said.
The two, along with their father, still face a retrial on corruption charges.
Separately, the two sons also face trial on insider trading charges. They had been acquitted of other charges.
Mubarak, now 86, stepped down in February 2011 in the face of a popular uprising. He and his two sons were arrested in April that year. Mubarak remains held at a military hospital in a southern suburb of Cairo.
The security officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they weren’t authorized to speak to journalists.
The release of the two had been expected for several days.
However, it came a day after deadly clashes between anti-government protesters and police marked the fourth anniversary of the uprising that ended Hosni Mubarak’s 29-year rule, AP reported.
The violence on Sunday left at least 18 people dead, including two men authorities said died planting a bomb and three police officers, and dozens wounded.
The release of Mubarak’s sons could prompt further demonstrations.
Mubarak was widely believed to have been grooming Gamal to succeed him.
The two consistently denied that, but the perceived succession plan, along with corruption, police brutality and poverty, were among the main causes of the 2011 uprising.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.