Nuclear chief: Powers left with no excuse to avoid deal with Iran

Director of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran’s nuclear chief said Tehran has done its utmost efforts to bring maximum transparency to its nuclear program and remove the alleged concerns of the Western states, stressing that the world powers have been left with no more excuse to avoid a final agreement with Iran.

“I assess the negotiations as to be positive and the other side has been left with no other option, but interaction with Iran and we have taken all excuses from them in technical aspects,” Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said on Friday.

He explained that when the Group 5+1 (the US, Russia, China, Britain and France plus Germany) raised concerns about Arak heavy water reactor in Central Iran, the country announced its readiness to redesign the reactor to decrease the annual plutonium production at the facility from 10 kg to 1kg.

Salehi said in other areas of nuclear work like enrichment too Iran has removed the powers’ concerns to make a win-win deal possible.

“But if they (the powers) want to withdraw from this trend, it will be them who will be the loser in the eyes of the world public opinion,” Salehi said.

The 10th round of negotiations between Iran and the six world powers was held in Vienna from November 18 to 24, where the seven nations decided to extend the talks until July after they failed to strike an agreement.

After the 10th round of the Vienna talks, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and EU coordinator Catherine Ashton announced that the deadline for negotiations had been extended until July 10, and the world powers had taken up to release $700 million of Iran’s frozen assets on a monthly basis.

The first Iran-powers meeting of the new round of talks were held in the Swiss city of Geneva on December 17-18.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister and the country’s senior negotiator Seyed Abbas Araqchi announced on Tuesday that the next round of nuclear talks between Tehran and the G5+1 would be held at the level of deputy foreign ministers in Geneva, Switzerland, on January 18.

Araqchi said that the talks will be held at the level of deputy foreign ministers and that prior to the negotiations, the Iranian negotiating team would hold bilateral talks with delegations from the US and Russia.

By Fars News Agency

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.