TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said talks on Tehran’s peaceful nuclear program will resume in the near future.
Iran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, the US, Britain, France and Germany) wrapped up seven days of intensive nuclear talks in Vienna on November 24 without securing a long-awaited comprehensive deal.
They decided to extend talks on Tehran’s civilian nuclear program for seven more months.
On November 24, 2013, Iran and the G5+1 (alternatively known as the P5+1 or E3+3) signed an interim nuclear deal in the Swiss city of Geneva.
Based on the Geneva deal (the Joint Plan of Action), which came into effect in January, the six nations agreed to provide Iran with some sanctions relief in exchange for Tehran agreeing to limit certain aspects of its nuclear activities during a limited period.
The agreement expired in July, when the parties decided to extend negotiations until November 24 in the hope of clinching a final deal.
Earlier this week, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov had said Iran and six world powers plan to hold the next round of talks before December 20, but not in Vienna.
“It will be surely held before the New Year, but not in Vienna,” ITAR-TASS quoted him as saying on Monday.
“The 20th is already late, and so, it will be before December 20. It will be decided in the next few days,” Ryabkov said.
He also said that EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini plans to participate personally in talks between the Sextet mediators and Iran at the level of ministers.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.