TEHRAN (FNA)- Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdullah al-Saaidi and his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif in a phone conversation conferred on the Wednesday morning terrorist attack on the residence of Tehran’s ambassador in Sana’a.
During the conversation on Wednesday, both top diplomats condemned the terrorist attack in Sana’a, and underlined that the issue should be seriously followed.
Zarif, for his part, referred to the terrorist acts in the past one year against diplomats and diplomatic buildings, and reminded the international conventions and agreements.
He also asked his Yemeni counterpart to act decisively according to their duties for maintaining security of diplomats and diplomatic buildings.
The Iranian foreign minister also expressed concern over releasing process of Iranian kidnapped diplomat Nour Ahmad Nikbakht, who was kidnapped one and half year ago by unknown groups.
He called for serious action of the Yemeni government to free the diplomat promptly.
Abdullah al-Saaidi voiced regret over the incident, and expressed the hope that Nikbakht would be released soon.
Also on Wednesday, the Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the Yemeni charge d’affaires to Tehran over the terrorist attack.
At the meeting, the Islamic Republic’s displeasure and official protest was conveyed to the Yemeni charge d’affaires over the terrorist attack on the residence of the Iranian ambassador in the Yemeni capital.
The Iranian foreign ministry in its protest letter called on the Yemeni government to find and bring to justice the perpetrators of the terrorist attack and adopt the needed security measures to protect the Iranian embassy in Sana’a.
The Yemeni charge d’affaires, for his part, voiced regret over the incident, and said that he will quickly relay Iran’s official protest to his government.
The blast punched a large hole in the building and sent rubble flying across the street of the well-guarded diplomatic quarter of the city, a Reuters witness said.
According to Reuters, Yemeni soldiers and paramedics arrived at the scene with stretchers. The Reuters report quoted Abdullah Mahmoud, a soldier, as claiming that Yemeni and Iranian guards had been killed and a paramedic at the scene said three dead bodies and three wounded had been taken from the area. It was not immediately clear whether the ambassador was in the residence at the time of the blast, the Reuters report added.
But a few hours later, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham dismissed the reports that the guards at the ambassador’s residence had been killed in the suicide blast, and said all Iranian embassy staff members were in good health.
“All the staff members of the Iranian embassy in Sana’a are healthy and unhurt by the blast near the Iranian embassy (which is near to the ambassador’s residence) in Yemen,” Afkham said in her weekly press conference in Tehran.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.