TEHRAN (FNA)- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi described the trend of the nuclear talks between Tehran and the Group 5+1 (the US, Russia, China, Britain and France plus Germany) as positive, but meantime stressed that differences still remain between the two sides.
“We have made progress in certain areas, but there is still some disagreements on certain issues. Yet, I think that events have been positive,” Salehi was quoted as saying by Rah-e Dana news website on Tuesday.
The 7th round of talks between Iran and the Group 5+1 was held in New York on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly meeting earlier this month.
The two sides held six rounds of negotiations in Vienna to reach a comprehensive deal after they inked an interim agreement in Geneva on November 24.
The Geneva agreement took effect on January 20 and expired six months later on July 20. In July, Tehran and the six countries agreed to extend negotiations until November 24 after they failed to reach an agreement on a number of key issues.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister and senior negotiator Seyed Abbas Araqchi underlined on Friday that Tehran would never accept to make a deal through crossing or ignoring its redlines in the talks with the Group 5+1.
He underscored that Iran was ready to accept solutions that would allay concerns over the country’s nuclear energy program provided that they take into consideration the Islamic Republic’s rights and redlines.
Araqchi said the Iranian negotiating team would continue to insist on Iran’s rights and will not overstep the country’s “redlines” in the talks.
Acknowledging that the two sides were still divided over “key issues”, the Iranian negotiator said, “We will by no means leave the negotiating table, but will not retreat an iota from Iran’s rights either.”
“The nuclear negotiations have reached a breathtaking point and both sides have entered into many details,” Araqchi pointed out.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.