A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analyst Mehrdad Moarefian and Iran Intern Amir Toumaj, with contributors Chris Rawlins, Diana Timmerman, and Marie Donovan.
Military and Security
- IRGC Commander Maj. Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari spoke at a news conference on the anniversary of Ayatollah Khomeini declaration of the establishment of the air, naval and ground forces of the IRGC on September 17, 1984:
- “Today the enemies of the system recognize that along with the Army the IRGC stands as a bulwark against enemy threats.”
- “Enemies that have intended to threaten the country have failed because of this deterrent power.”
- “Today the collection of forces of the IRGC is very ready to defend the goals of the Islamic Republic and this readiness is indebted to Supreme Leader Imam Khomeini and the blood of the martyrs.”
- “America’s actions are a dramatic front, because today it has been revealed to everyone that America formed ISIS.” (Sepah News)
- Islamic Republic of Iran Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari discussed the Navy’s readiness to combat ISIS and current activities:
- “Today, we are ready to neutralize and react to any threat as soon as possible.”
- “We have been engaged with our 31st Battle Group in our mission of safeguarding and protecting our economy in international waters.” (Defa Press)
- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif departed for New York to take part in the latest round of nuclear negotiations with the P5+1. Zarif and EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton are scheduled to meet on Wednesday. (Islamic Republic News Agency)
- Expediency Discernment Council President Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani criticized recent US sanctions on Iran and discussed Iran’s nuclear rights:
- “In analyzing a series of events, especially in the new era, Iran doubts the negotiating parties; as a solution to this problem is discussed, there is not political justification for the intensification of sanctions in the midst of nuclear negotiations.”“We have repeatedly stated that we know that the creation and use of nuclear weapons are forbidden by Islam and man; but we also know our right to keep of the scientific achievements of one’s people in nuclear science and technology.”
- “Unfortunately, the West divides terrorism into two groups: good and bad. Based on their interests, it supports some of them and fights some. These contradictory policies have caused outrage and disgust from the freedom-seeking people, particularly those oppressed and wronged by the terrorists.” (Tasnim News Agency)
Regional Developments and Diplomacy
- In a meeting with Foreign Minister of North Korea, Ri Su Yong, President Rouhani expressed his interest in continued relations with North Korea and said that “an increase in consultation and cooperation between the two countries’ leaders can lead to strengthened relations”.
- Ri Su Yong expressed a warm greeting from N. Korea’s President, Kim Yung-un, to Rouhani: “There is a long-lasting and deep relationship between our two countries and we are determined to expand this relationship in different realms, especially in the economic realm and private sector realm”.
- Yong also praised Iran’s resistance in maintaining their right to pursue peaceful nuclear activities and said: “The government and the people of N. Korea support the resistance and the government and the people of Iran”. (Tasnim News)
- Defense Minister and Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) commander Brig. Gen. Hossein Dehghan with Turkmenistan’s President Gurbanguli Berdymukhamedov to discuss regional security issues and strengthening bilateral ties. Dehghan said:
- “Given [Iran’s] extensive experience in combatting these ominous phenomena, the Islamic Republic of Iran is prepared to transfer its experience to neighboring countries and cooperate with them in these fields.”
- “Iran’s national security doctrine is founded upon defense and deterrence and in it there is no aggressive or hostile attitude towards any country.” (Mehr News)
- National Security and Foreign Policy Parliamentary Commission Chairman MP Alaeddin Boroujerdi met with Slovak Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Miroslav Lajcak in Tehran. Boroujerdi discussed the US-led coalition to fight ISIS and said:
- “America and its allies will fail in combating terrorists because they have a selective and insincere policy for fighting terrorism and they seek personal gains in the region.” (Fars News Agency)
- Iraq’s Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jafari criticized the International Conference on Peace and Security in Iraq for not inviting Iran to attend the Paris talks. Jafari said:
- “We [Iraq] insisted that Iran be present. We regret the absence of Iran at this conference.”
- “All countries are affected by ISIS. Iran is a neighboring country that has given us significant support.” (Iranian Students’ News Agency)
- Hamas Political Bureau Head Khaled Meshaal wrote a congratulatory message to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, wishing him a speedy recovery following his successful prostate surgery. (Raja News)
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.