The UN envoy to Yemen says he has no information on the fate of the Iranian diplomat abducted in the Arab country last year.
Jamal Benomar made the remark about Nour Ahmad Nikbakht in a recent interview following a meeting of UN Security Council on the developments in Yemen.
Earlier on Wednesday, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said that Nikbakht is “in full health” and expressed hope that he will be freed as soon as possible.
Earlier this year, Yemeni charge d’affaires to Tehran Abdullah Ali al-Seri, said Nikbakht is alive and in good health, emphasizing that the Yemen Interior Ministry and security forces are responsible for investigating the fate of the kidnapped Iranian diplomat.
Nikbakht was on his way to work from his home in the diplomatic quarter of the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, on July 21, 2013 when unidentified gunmen blocked the road, forced him out of his vehicle and abducted him.
On January 18, another staff member at the Iranian Embassy in Sana’a, Abolqasem Asadi, was gunned down by members of a terrorist group outside the Iranian ambassador’s residence in the Yemeni capital.
The assailants first tried to kidnap the Iranian diplomat, but opened fire on him when they faced resistance. Seriously injured, the diplomat later passed away in hospital.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.