Iran rejects border guard asylum claims

A frame grab of a footage broadcast by Saudi Arabia’s al-Arabiya TV channel on February 17, 2014, showing five Iranian border guards abducted by the Jaish-ul-Adl Takfiri terrorist group.

An Iranian Interior Ministry official has dismissed reports that one of the five Iranian border guards abducted in February by Jaish-ul-Adl terrorist group has sought asylum in the US.

“Official sources have not reported the news and the Interior Ministry is still pursuing [Jamshid] Danaeifar’s fate,” Ruhollah Jomei told IRNA on Friday.

The Interior Ministry holds the Pakistani government accountable for any “happening and event” pertaining to the case, he added.

On February 6, Jaish-ul-Adl kidnapped five Iranian border guards in Jakigour region in the southeastern Iranian province of Sistan-and-Baluchestan and took them to the Pakistani territory. On March 23, the terror group claimed that it had killed one of the hostages named Jamshid Danaeifar.

However, Iran’s Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli said on April 7 that there was no conclusive evidence to prove that Danaeifar had been slain by the Jaish-ul-Adl terrorist group.

On April 6, four of the five abducted guards were freed and reunited with their families.

An unofficial Iranian news website claimed on Friday that Danaeifar entered the United States’ territory on May 29 via a military plane and has sought political asylum in the US.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.