TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The expert-level negotiations between Iran and the sextet of world powers that began in New York on Monday have covered the procedures for drafting a comprehensive nuclear deal on Tehran’s peaceful nuclear program, Iranian foreign ministry spokeswoman said.
Speaking in her weekly press conference on Tuesday, Marziyeh Afkham announced that experts representing Iran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, the US, Britain, France and Germany) have discussed drafting a final, comprehensive nuclear deal in their fresh round of negotiations.
She said the expert-level negotiations between Iran and the G5+1 (also known as P5+1 or E3+3) commenced in New York on Monday night, Tehran time.
In relevant comments on April 29, Afkham had dismissed the notion that the ongoing nuclear negotiations between Tehran and world powers are conducted according to an available draft of a final agreement, reiterating that the deal remains to be drafted as early as May 13.
She had rejected the claim that the parties are pushing ahead with the talks based on an available “draft on the table”, stressing that no such draft deal has been shaped so far.
Representatives of Iran and the Group 5+1 wrapped up the latest round of their nuclear talks in the Austrian capital of Vienna on April 9.
The negotiating parties are slated to convene the next meeting on May 13, again in Vienna, to start drafting the text of an ultimate agreement to end the decade-long standoff on Iran’s nuclear case.
The two sides on November 24, 2013, clinched an interim six-month deal in the Swiss city of Geneva.
The breakthrough deal (the Joint Plan of Action), which has come into effect since January 20, stipulates that over the course of six months, Iran and the six countries will draw up a comprehensive nuclear deal which will lead to a lifting of the whole sanctions on Iran.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.