TEHRAN (FNA)- Government Spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht announced on Wednesday that all the sum of the $4.2 billion which was due to be released by the West under the November Geneva deal between Tehran and the world powers has been unfrozen and is ready to be paid to Iran.
“All the installments of the Geneva agreement have been released by this date,” Nobakht told reporters in Tehran today.
He underlined that the government of President Hassan Rouhani plans to use the $4.2bln for a different purpose, but he declined to explain any further.
In relevant remarks earlier this month, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Seyed Abbas Araqchi said Iran has received the fifth installment of its $4.2bln-frozen assets as agreed upon in the interim nuclear deal between Tehran and the six world powers.
Araqchi said that another $450-mln instalment from Iran’s blocked oil revenues has been released and deposited to the account of the Central Bank of Iran (CBI) in accordance with the November 2013 agreement reached in Geneva.
Araqchi added that this is the fifth tranche of the eight installments of Iran’s blocked revenues that the Sextet of powers was committed to release and deposit to the CBI account.
Iran and the Group 5+1 (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany) clinched a long-sought deal in November in the Swiss city of Geneva. The two sides have agreed to stage-by-stage implementation of the interim agreement reciprocating one another since January 20.
The accord requires the West to ease some of the existing sanctions in exchange for Tehran’s confidence-building measure not to develop the national nuclear program for a six-month period.
The frozen Iranian assets were due to be released in eight states, as agreed, and Tehran will dilute its 20% enriched uranium within the next 12 months.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.