“We expect the Western states to avoid declaring stances that harm the progress of [the nuclear] talks and the agreements reached in Geneva,” said Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for European and American Affairs Majid Takht-e-Ravanchi in reference to an interim deal reached previously between the two sides in the Swiss city.
The Iranian official made the remarks in a Monday meeting with Finland’s Foreign Minister Erkki Tuomioja in Helsinki.
Takht-e-Ravanchi, who is also an Iranian nuclear negotiator, reaffirmed that the Islamic Republic had entered the negotiations with the P5+1 – Russia, China, France, Britain, the US and Germany – with “goodwill.”
As acknowledged by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Iran has fulfilled its commitments under the interim nuclear accord it signed with the six other countries in Geneva, Switzerland, last November, Takht-e-Ravanchi said.
The Finnish foreign minister, for his part, hailed the progress in the negotiations between Tehran and the P5+1, expressing hope that the two sides would reach a final nuclear deal as soon as possible.
Iran and its negotiating partners have been holding talks in an effort to work out a permanent accord aimed at fully resolving the decade-old dispute over Tehran’s nuclear energy program.
In a new monthly update on March 20, the IAEA once again confirmed that Iran has not violated the terms of the Geneva nuclear deal, which took effect on January 20.
Earlier this month, 83 American senators sent a letter to US President Barack Obama, saying they are pursuing further sanctions against Iran if the nuclear talks end with no final deal.
Also on March 13, US Secretary of State John Kerry said Washington was firmly pursuing sanctions against Iran, despite the initial nuclear agreement reached in Geneva.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.