28 Mar 2024
Sunday 23 March 2014 - 10:42
Story Code : 90512

Karroubi family manages Norooz visit with detained leader

Mohammad Hossein Karroubi, the son of Iranian opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi, reported that he and other family members met with his father, who is under house arrest, on the eve of the New Year.
Mehdi Karroubi, one of the challengers of Mahmoud Ahmadinejads victory in the 2009 presidential election, has been under house arrest since 2011.

Mohammad Hossein Karroubi said on his Facebook page that in a meeting on Thursday March 20, they managed to inform their father of the latest news of the country and the catastrophic corruption of the former government.

The report indicates that Karroubi was in good physical health and spirits and that he has sent Norooz greetings to all the people, especially political prisoners and their families.

Karroubi has reportedly expressed concern regarding the system, saying: What haunts me most is thinking of what the future generations and history will say of us. And that they will ask what led to so much digression from the Revolution while the founder of the regime was a philosopher and a wise Source of Emulation that brought the Revolution to victory with his spiritual influence.

Mehdi Karroubi was one of the close supporters of Ayatollah Khomeini before and after the 1979 Revolution and, following the establishment of the Islamic Republic, he has held several important positions in the government, such as head of Parliament in two sessions and head of the Martyrs Foundations.

Karroubis son also told the Iranian Student News Agency (ISNA) that they met their father half an hour before the arrival of the New Year and were with him for three hours. He added that for the first time, none of the security officers were present in the visiting room. They were instead stationed downstairs while the family met and spoke in private.

Karroubi had been held in a government safe house and only recently was allowed to be moved to his own home in Jamaran, where he is still being held under house arrest.

By Radio Zamaneh

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.
https://theiranproject.com/vdcirwa3.t1auz2lict.html
Your Name
Your Email Address