Iran’s Minister of the Economy has announced the family cash benefits, which so far have been sent to all households to cushion the removal of government subsidies on energy and food staples, will only be provided for families that demonstrate their financial need for such supplements, starting in the New Year.
ISNA reports that Ali Tayyebnia told reporters that applicants have until the end of the Iranian Canlendar year (March 21) to file for these supplements. He added that any false statements on the application forms will lead to heavy fines for false claimants.
Eshagh Jahangiri, the first deputy to President Hassan Rohani, had said earlier that the number of people currently receiving the cash benefits surpasses the country’s population. This alleged abuse has led the government to come up with eligibility criteria for the payments.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.