The Iranian man who died during violent clashes on Manus Island earlier this week was a 23-year-old named Reza Barati, who arrived on Christmas Island last July.
Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said on Friday that Australian diplomats in Iran had contacted his family, who had agreed for his details to be released.
Mr Barati, who arrived in Australia without family members, was transferred to Manus Island last August.
Mr Morrison said that Mr Barati’s body is currently being moved to Port Moresby with a police escort to ”maintain the integrity of evidence”.
An autopsy will be conducted in Port Moresby with assistance from Australia.
After police investigations are complete, Australia will ”assist” with the repatriation of Mr Barati.
Mr Morrison said Australian diplomats had conveyed ”the deep sympathies of the Australian government to the family of the deceased”.
Mr Morrison also named former head of the Attorney-General’s department, Robert Cornall, to lead the government’s inquiry into the violence on Manus Island earlier this week.
The terms of reference will be finalised next week and published on the department’s website.
The Immigration Minister said the review would ”look closely” at the actions security services contracted at the detention centre.
He also told reporters in Canberra on Friday that there were ”many answers that still have to come” about the clashes that left Mr Barati dead and dozens injured.
”We intend to be patient and ask that you also be patient.”
Mr Morrison updated the number of asylum seekers injured during Monday’s incident, revising the number from 77 to 62.
He also told reporters that no boats had arrived in the past week.
”There has not now been a successful people smuggling venture to Australia for 64 days,” he said.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.