Yair Lapid told Israel’s Ynet News on Friday that “a continuation of the existing situation will hurt the pocketbook” of all Israelis.
Lapid’s remarks followed a Friday‘s announcement regarding Tel Aviv’s plans to build 1,400 more illegal settlement units — 1,800 according to some reports — in East al-Quds (Jerusalem).
The Israeli minister said failure in the ongoing talks with Palestinians would end support for Israel.
The fresh round of negotiations began in July, 2013 to end the decades-long Palestinian-Israeli conflict based on the so-called two-state solution after a three-year hiatus.
On Friday, David Elhayani, the head of the Jordan Valley’s 21 settlements, said the income of the illegal settlers who grow fresh products dropped by more than 14 percent or $29 million in the last year over the international boycott of Israeli products, particularly in Britain and Scandinavia.
Dutch fund management company PGGM said in a statement on its website on Wednesday that it would not work with some of the Israeli regime’s banks over “illegal” settlements, which caused Tel Aviv to summon the Dutch ambassador on Friday.
The leading pension fund provider said the reason behind the boycott of the banks is “their involvement in financing Israeli settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories.”
The presence and continued expansion of Israeli settlements in occupied Palestine has created a major obstacle for the efforts to establish peace in the Middle East.
More than half a million Israelis live in over 120 illegal settlements built since Israel’s occupation of the Palestinian territories of the West Bank and East al-Quds in 1967.
The UN and most countries regard the Israeli settlements as illegal because the territories were captured by Israel in a war in 1967 and are hence subject to the Geneva Conventions, which forbid construction on occupied lands.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.