FM spokeswoman: Majedˈs death not to derail Iranˈs probe of Beirut

Tehran, Jan 5, IRNA – Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham underlined that Tehran will continue its probe into the November bombing that targeted the Islamic Republicˈs embassy in Beirut despite the death of al-Qaeda-linked Saudi terrorist Majed al-Majed.

“(Majed’s death) will not influence Iran’s resolve to follow up on the terrorist attack outside the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Embassy in Beirut through legal and international channels,” Afkham said on Saturday.

She urged the Lebanese officials to put serious effort into bringing all the perpetrators to justice.

On Saturday, the Lebanese army said Majed had died in a military hospital in Beirut while receiving medical treatment for kidney failure.

The Saudi national, whose identity was confirmed by DNA testing, was the commander of the Abdullah Izzam Brigades and had been on Riyadhˈs most wanted list since 2009.

The group is an al-Qaeda offshoot that operates throughout the Middle East and is responsible for the twin bomb attacks that targeted the Iranian Embassy in the Lebanese capital on November 19.

The blasts killed 25 people and injured more than 150. Iran’s Cultural Attaché to Beirut Hojjatoleslam Ebrahim Ansari and the wife of another Iranian diplomat were among those killed.

On Saturday, Iranˈs Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian urged Lebanese officials to investigate the circumstances surrounding Majed’s death.

By IRNA

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.