Egypt health ministry: Death toll from Friday clashes rises to 13

TEHRAN (FNA)- The official death toll from violent clashes that accompanied several pro-Mursi protests on Friday rose to 13, according to Egypt’s Health Ministry.

In a statement, the ministry said that 13 fatalities had been confirmed in the wake of Friday’s clashes, which also left 57 people injured, Haberler.com reported.

Earlier in the day, a source with the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, which demands the reinstatement of ousted president Mohamed Mursi, said clashes between security forces and Mursi supporters – which erupted in several parts of the country – had left 17 dead.

According to the alliance source, the worst violence was seen in Cairo, where eight people were killed.

Fatalities were also reported in the Ismailia, Fayoum, Alexandria and Minya provinces, he added.

Friday’s rallies were called for by the pro-Mursi alliance, a coalition of Islamist groups that reject the elected leader’s July 3 ouster at the hands of the army – a move the alliance describes as an unconstitutional military coup.

By Fars News Agency

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.