“The United States condemns in the strongest terms today’s terrorist attack in Volgograd,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement late Sunday.
“We send our sincere condolences to the families of the victims and stand in solidarity with the Russian people against terrorism of any kind,” she added.
At least 17 people were killed Sunday in a blast at the central railway station in the southern city of Volgograd which authorities said was a terrorist attack. About 50 people were wounded in the incident.
Earlier on Monday, at least 14 people were killed and over two dozen others were injured in a second explosion on a trolley bus near a market in Volgograd.
Russian authorities are still investigating the incidents, while no group has yet claimed responsibility for them.
The attacks come as Russia is preparing to host the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.
US President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will not participate in the opening or closing ceremonies of the Olympic Games in Russia.
In a news release on December 17, the White House announced that the US delegation will instead be led by former Homeland Security secretary Janet Napolitano at the opening ceremonies and Deputy Secretary of State William Burns at the closing ceremonies.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.