Tajik National Bank denies link with Iranian businessman

DUSHANBE — Tajikistan’s national bank has denied any cooperation with an Iranian businessman blacklisted by the United States.

A bank spokesman, Abdugaffor Kurbonov, told RFE/RL on December 30 that a document presented by Iranian businessman Babak Morteza Zanjani to the Iranian parliament that purported to establish such a connection is fake.

Last week, a group of Iranian lawmakers also expressed doubts regarding the authenticity of the document, which allegedly showed that $2 billion had been transferred to Iran’s Oil Ministry from the Tajik National Bank.

In April, the U.S. Treasury Department accused Zanjani of operating a network of front companies to help Iran access oil revenues in violation of U.S. sanctions.

The department said the network moved billions of dollars, including tens of millions to a company controlled by Iran’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).

By RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.