TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The special committee assigned by the Iranian government to follow the case with the country’s frozen assets in foreign banks has achieved good progress in its effort to return those assets, the Iranian minister of economy said on Monday.
“Good progress has been made which enable us to use foreign assets in the national projects,” Ali Tayyebnia said on the sidelines of the fifth session of the government’s meeting with activists from the Iranian private sector.
He further stated that the committee appointed by the government for this purpose is seriously pursuing the matter.
The economy minister further directed the media reporters to seek further details about the matter through the Central Bank of Iran (CBI) Governor Valiollah Seyf.
Earlier this month, The CBI has set up a task force on the return of the country’s assets blocked by the US.
Iranian government spokesman Mohammad-Baqer Nobakht has confirmed that $8 billion of Iranian assets blocked by the US will be released as a result of the deal Iran and the six major powers reached on November 24.
Iran and the Group 5+1 (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany) on November 24 signed a six-month deal on Tehran’s nuclear program based on which the world powers agreed to suspend some non-essential sanctions and to impose no new nuclear-related bans in return for Tehran’s decision to freeze parts of its nuclear activities and to allow more inspection of its nuclear facilities.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.