Iran has denounced a terrorist attack against acting Iraqi defense minister, calling on all regional countries to make joint efforts to eradicate terrorism.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham on Wednesday expressed relief that terrorists failed to obtain their criminal objectives.
On Tuesday, a bomb blast hit the convoy of the acting Iraqi defense minister, Saadun al-Dulaimi, west of the capital, Baghdad.
The acting defense minister was unharmed in the roadside bomb but two of his guards were wounded.
According to a police officer, Dulaimi was travelling in a six-vehicle convoy when the bomb struck the city of Fallujah, 65 kilometers west of Baghdad.
Afkham wished success for the Iraqi government and officials in their constant efforts to dismantle terrorist groups.
“Terrorist groups have no mission but to create insecurity and instability in Iraq and have so far victimized many innocent Iraqi people for their ominous goals,” the Iranian spokesperson said.
This time, terrorist groups targeted the acting Iraqi defense minister and a number of officials in charge of establishing security and stability in Iraq who succeeded in thwarting terrorist attacks in different parts of the country during recent days, she added.
She expressed hope that all countries in the region would continue efforts to eradicate terrorism and to promote stability and security in the Muslim and neighboring country of Iraq.
Tuesday attack followed fresh waves of terrorist attacks across Iraq.
At least 37 people were killed and 50 others were wounded in separate blasts that hit Christian areas in southern Baghdad on Wednesday as Christians were celebrating Christmas Day.
One of the explosions took place near a church where worshippers were leaving. Two other bombs exploded in a crowded market.
No group has claimed responsibility for the deadly attacks, but systematic bombings are a favorite tactic of al-Qaeda-linked groups that according to Iraqi officials seek to destabilize the country.
The United Nations says at least 8,000 people have lost their lives in Iraq so far this year.
Iraq’s Interior Ministry has said that militants have launched an open war in Iraq and they want to push the Middle Eastern country into chaos.
“The country is currently facing an open war from bloodthirsty sectarian forces that aim to plunge the country into chaos,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement issued on July 30.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.