TEHRAN (FNA)- Three Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) members were killed near the Saravan city in Southeastern Iran after their car ran over an improvised explosive device (IED), a provincial official announced on Wednesday.
“At around 6:30 this morning, the vehicle of IRGC’s engineering unit working on the development projects in the province ran into a booby trap,” Deputy Governor-General of Sistan and Balouchestan province for Political and Security Affairs Rajabali Sheikhzadeh told FNA on Wednesday.
“Unfortunately, three IRGC personnel have been killed in the blast,” he said.
Earlier this month, terrorists attacked a border checkpoint in Southeastern Iran, killing one soldier and injuring 6 people.
“One border guard soldier was killed and 6 others were wounded in the Monday night clashes between the Iranian military troops and the armed outlaws at Saravan border (with Pakistan in Iran’s Sistan and Balouchestan province),” Sheikhzadeh said.
He said that the clashes lasted for several hours, and added that the Iranian border guards in cooperation with the IRGC managed to push back the outlaws, forcing them to escape Iranian territory and shelter in a neighboring country (which he meant Pakistan as Saravan is located along Iran’s border with Pakistan).
Sheikhzadeh didn’t name the neighboring country, but in many similar incidents in the past terrorists have taken refuge in Pakistan.
He said that the terrorist attack was waged from inside Pakistan and the outlawed Jeish Al-Adl radical Sunni Wahhabi movement affiliated to the terrorist Jundollah group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
In a similar event late October, 14 Iranian border guards were killed and 6 more were injured during the terrorist attack by outlaws in Saravan border region, Southeastern Iran.
The terrorists who have reportedly been members of Jeish Al-Adl fled into Pakistan after the operation.
The Jundollah group has built a safe haven in Pakistan and it escaped to this Eastern neighbor of the Islamic Republic each time it staged a terrorist operation in Iran before it was disbanded and its leaders were arrested and executed.
In its last operation in Iran, the Pakistani-based Jundollah terrorist group claimed responsibility for December 15, 2010 attack at the Imam Hussein Mosque in Iran’s Southeastern port city of Chabahar in Sistan and Balouchestan Province where people were commemorating the martyrdom of Imam Hussein (PBUH), the third Shiite Imam.
At least 38 mourners were killed and more than 89 others, including women and children, were injured in the attack.
The Jundollah group has claimed responsibility for numerous terrorist attacks in Iran. The group has carried out mass murder, armed robbery, kidnapping, acts of sabotage and bombings. They have targeted civilians and government officials as well as all ranks of Iran’s military.
In one of the worst cases, the terrorist group killed 22 citizens and abducted 7 more in the Tasouki region on a road linking the southeastern city of Zahedan to another provincial town.
In 2007, Jundollah kidnapped 30 people in the Sistan and Balouchestan province and took them to the neighboring Pakistan.
Jundollah claimed responsibility the same year for an attack on an Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) bus in which 11 IRGC personnel were killed.
In another crime in October 2009, the Pakistan-based terrorist Jundollah group claimed responsibility for a deadly attack in the Sistan and Balouchestan province which killed 42 people among them a group of senior military commanders, including Lieutenant Commander of the IRGC Ground Force Brigadier General Nourali Shoushtari.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.