TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A prominent Iranian lawmaker on Saturday lashed out at the US for reneging on its commitments concerning the recent Geneva deal on Iran’s nuclear program, saying backpedaling on the accord would harm the US and its allies more.
“They proved they are not committed to any principle and some people’s assumption in our country that the Americans are trustworthy was thus proved to be wrong,” Javad Jahangirzadeh told the Tasnim News Agency.
On Thursday, the US Treasury and State departments issued new sanctions against more than a dozen companies and individuals for evading US sanctions against Iran. The blacklisting is widely seen as an attempt to head off moves in Congress to impose additional sanctions that would be in clear breach of the Geneva agreement.
The member of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission also said that the Americans that had been after a communication channel with Iran in the previous years proved “through their move” that they are not trustworthy under any conditions.
“Our people’s belief that our enemy is not trustworthy is absolutely true and authentic,” he said, adding that the root cause for the US enmity against the Islamic Republic of Iran is “our internal capabilities and national might.”
“On the one hand, the Americans have proved that they are not reliable and, on the other hand, that they are not commited to any agreement. Also, they showed that there is no single view in that country, that there are disparate ideas and that they are under the influence of the Zionist regime and are ready to sacrifice the interests of tens of millions of people for some Zionists,” he added.
The US decision comes after Iran and the Group 5+1 (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany) signed a six-month deal on Tehran’s nuclear program based on which the world powers agreed to suspend some non-essential sanctions and to imposed no new nuclear-related bans in return for Tehran’s decision to freeze parts of its nuclear activities and to allow more inspection of its nuclear facilities.
During the half-year period, Iran and the G5+1 are due to negotiate a comprehensive deal with the aim of resolving for good the standoff over Iran’s nuclear program after a decade of on-off meetings and failed attempts.
Senior administration officials argued that Thursday’s blacklistings were carried out within the framework of the existing sanctions regime and did not constitute new measures.
Also, Iran’s foreign ministry described the latest blacklists as unconstructive, saying that the US administration is responsible for these indiscreet moves.
“Unfortunately, we are witnessing serious confusion in the approach, decisions and remarks of American officials, and the US administration is fully responsible for the consequences of [these] indiscreet measures,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said on Friday.
Another Iranian lawmaker has called for the acceleration of Tehran’s civilian nuclear activities, arguing that the United States has violated the provisions of a nuclear deal struck between Iran and six major world powers.
“Undoubtedly, the latest US move to blacklist a number of Iranian companies and institutions is the flagrant violation of the Geneva nuclear accord, and the US officials revealed that they are not trustworthy,” Chairman of Iranian parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Alaeddin Boroujerdi said on Friday.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles