TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian officials are angry at their US counterparts for rocking the boat and publicizing a changed text of the agreement signed between Tehran and the world powers in Geneva on Sunday.
“The Americans are not allowed to release the White House statement (fact sheet) and show double-standard behavior and repeat this attitude to deprive us of our rights, while the cancerous tumor of the region (Israel) will be able to use nuclear bombs,” member of the Iranian parliament Alireza Zakani said, addressing an open session of the Legislature in Tehran on Wednesday.
“The Americans should today answer this question and say if they accept this (Geneva) statement (agreement) or the remarks and prattles of the White House and certain western leaders,” he added.
In relevant remarks today, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif lashed out at the White House for attempting to misrepresent the Geneva agreement between Tehran and the world powers last week by releasing a fact sheet alleged to be the text of the nuclear deal.
“While we were negotiating (in Geneva), the White House released a text as a fact sheet of the negotiations,” Zarif said, briefing the Iranian lawmakers in an open session of the parliament in Tehran on Wednesday.
“This is while they could release the original text of the negotiations, but they released that fact sheet because they wanted to make their desired changes in it,” he added.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry on Tuesday also called invalid a press release by the White House alleged to be the text of the nuclear agreement struck by Iran and the Group 5+1 (the US, Russia, China, Britain and France plus Germany) in Geneva on Sunday.
“What has been released by the website of the White House as a fact sheet is a one-sided interpretation of the agreed text in Geneva and some of the explanations and words in the sheet contradict the text of the Joint Plan of Action (the title of the Iran-powers deal), and this fact sheet has unfortunately been translated and released in the name of the Geneva agreement by certain media, which is not true,” Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said on Tuesday.
She said that the four-page text under the name of the Joint Plan of Action (which has been released by the Iranian foreign ministry) was the result of the agreement reached during the Geneva talks and all of its sentences and words were chosen based on the considerations of all parties to the talks. In fact one of the reasons why negotiations between Iran and the G5+1 took so long pertained to the accuracy which was needed for choosing the words for the text of the agreement, Afkham said, explaining that the Iranian delegation was much rigid and laid much emphasis on the need for this accuracy.
Afkham said that the text of the Joint Plan of Action was provided to the media a few hours after the two sides agreed on it.
After the White House released a modified version of the deal struck by Iran and the six world powers in Geneva early Sunday morning, the Iranian Foreign Ministry released the text of the agreement.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.