TEHRAN (FNA)- Chairman of the Iranian parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Alaeddin Boroujerdi strongly rejected western media reports claiming that Tehran plans to raise a proposal during its upcoming talks with the six world powers on the closure of its Fordo uranium enrichment facility in return for the annulment of sanctions.
“It is an irrelative word. Fordo will never be closed and will continue its work,” Boroujerdi said in a meeting with Secretary of State at the Swiss Foreign Ministry Yves Rossier in Tehran on Wednesday.
“We in the parliament will not allow such a thing to happen,” he added.
In relevant remarks on Monday, a senior Iranian legislator said Fordo underground facility near the Central city of Qom, where Iran enriches 20-percent-grade uranium, is in full operation.
“The centrifuges at Fordo have been installed completely and the facility is in full operation and without any problem ordeficiency,” member of the parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Mohammad Esmayeel Kosari told FNA.
“The 20% enrichment is undergone at the site (Fordo),” he added.
Fordo enrichment facility hosts Iran’s uranium enrichment to the purity level of 20% which is needed for fueling a research reactor in Tehran which produces radioisotopes for medical purposes.
The western media claimed recently that Iran’s new president Hassan Rouhani is willing to shut down its nuclear facility if the West agrees to lift Islamic republic’s sanctions.
Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi strongly rejected western media reports claiming that Tehran has raised a proposal to the West to close its Fordo underground uranium enrichment facility near the Central city of Qom for lifting sanctions against the country.
“The closure of Fordo site is a sheer lie,” Salehi told reporters at the end of a cabinet meeting in Tehran earlier this month.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.