Nearly two dozen die in another day of carnage in Iraq

Nearly two dozen people have died and 50 others have been wounded in bomb attacks in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.

Iraqi officials said bombings targeted the Athoryeen market in Dura, southern Baghdad, and Saba al-Bur area of northern Baghdad on Thursday.

The attacks come a day after similar explosions claimed the lives of more than 40 people across Iraq.

On September 24, over two dozen people were killed as a large group of militants attempted to take control of security positions in the towns of Rawa and Aana in the western province of Anbar.

According to the United Nations, nearly 1,060 Iraqis, including at least 920 civilians, were killed and more than 2,320 others were wounded in terrorist attacks throughout the country in July – the deadliest month since 2008.

Some 800 Iraqis also lost their lives in deadly attacks in August.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees has expressed concern about the growing violence in Iraq, warning that the new spate of attacks would result in further internal displacement of civilians.

The UN says the number of displaced Iraqis by due to bombings and other attacks so far in 2013 stands at about 5,000, with people mostly fleeing from Baghdad into the provinces of Anbar and Salahuddin.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has said that attacks in Iraq aim to “reignite sectarian strife” and divide the nation.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.