Hezbollah Secretary-General Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah has rejected claims that the resistance movement has received chemical weapons from Syria.
“Some figures in the so-called Syrian Coalition Council, which takes Istanbul as its headquarters… some of them said that they had information which points out that the government in Syria handed over chemical weapons to Hezbollah,” he said in a televised speech on Monday.
“One of the members of this opposition body said that we (Hezbollah) were handed one ton of chemical weapons,” he said.
“This is a laughable accusation … as if they are speaking about wheat and flour” when they say Hezbollah was given one ton of chemical weapons and hid them somewhere in Lebanon, the Hezbollah leader noted.
Nasrallah said that the use of chemical arms is forbidden in Islam and Hezbollah will never use such weapons.
He also warned that military action on Syria would have dangerous consequences and the only way out of the current crisis is national dialog and reconciliation.
Washington had threatened to take military action against Syria over an unsubstantiated claim that the Syrian government had been behind a deadly chemical attack near Damascus on August 21.
Syria categorically rejects the allegation, saying the attack was carried out by the foreign-backed militants to draw in military intervention.
Syria has been gripped by deadly unrest since March 2011. A very large number of the militants operating inside Syria are reportedly foreign nationals. According to reports, Western powers and their regional allies, especially Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey, are supporting the militants operating inside Syria.
In a recent statement, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees said the number of Syrian refugees, who have fled the country’s 29-month-long conflict, reached two million.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.