US suffered heavy defeat in Syria: Iran MP

An Iranian lawmaker says the United States lost more of its credibility and suffered a heavy defeat after failing to win international consensus on launching a military attack against Syria.

“After its failure [to wage] war against Syria, the US seeks to refer the [Arab] country’s case to the Security Council. Of course, it will definitely fail to achieve its objectives,” said Hojjatollah Khodaei Soori who sits on the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of Iran’s Majlis.

Any resolution or statement against Syria would be a lever to exert pressure on the country and would only serve the interests of the opponents of the Damascus government.

“The US has no aim in the region but to break the chain of resistance. By referring Syria’s case to the Security Council, the US only seeks to repair its own tarnished image, but the country’s officials should know that the world [events] will not always play out in their favor and as they wish,” the Iranian legislator stated.

He expressed confidence that Russia, as a permanent member of the UN Security Council, would not get on board with the US and Britain in sending Syria’s case to the Security Council and would oppose any resolution against Damascus.

“[Syrian President] Bashar al-Assad has so far remained committed to his obligations and has not violated international regulations despite the repeated accusations by the US and West that Assad’s government had used chemical weapons,” Soori said.

Britain, France and the United States have drafted a resolution that would invoke Chapter 7 of the UN Charter, which can authorize the use of force against Syria. However, Russia is opposed to such a resolution.

On September 17, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the resolution that the UNSC is to adopt on Syria will not refer to Chapter 7 of the UN Charter, regulating the use of military force against Damascus.

A UN report released on September 16 concluded that sarin gas was used in the August 21 fatal chemical attack, in which hundreds were killed. The UN inspectors, however, were not authorized to name a culprit in the attack, and the evidence they presented has been subject to contradictory interpretations.

Washington and its allies claim that the findings by the UN’s Swedish expert Ake Sellstrom and his team showed that the attack was perpetrated by the Syrian government.

Moscow and Damascus have strongly rejected the allegation that Syria carried out the August 21 attack, saying Western-backed militants were behind the “false-flag” operation to draw in foreign military intervention.

By PressTV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.