Senior MP: US forced to withdraw from Syrian war due to global opposition

TEHRAN (FNA)- The lack of consensus in the international community for launching a military attack against Syria isolated the Americans, a prominent Iranian legislator said, adding that the US was forced to withdraw from its positions after it was faced with this international opposition.

“As a result of global condemnation the US did not have any option other than withdrawing and abandoning its pretext, that is the alleged use of chemical weapons by the Syrian government against its own people,” Chairman of the parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Alaeddin Boroujerdi told reporters in the Western city of Khorramabad on Sunday.

He pointed to Iran’s diplomacy vis-à-vis Syrian crisis, and said, “The diplomacy of the Islamic Republic of Iran has been very effective because our country since the onset of the Syrian crisis had announced that political solution is the best and most effective option.”

Last week, US President Barack Obama said that he will stop his plan to strike Syria if the country agrees with the Russian proposal to surrender its possible chemical stocks to international control.

On Saturday, US Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov reached an agreement on a framework for Syria to verify that it is eliminating all its chemical weapons.

On September 9, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Al-Muallem said Damascus welcomed a proposal made by Russia to put its chemical weapons stockpile under international control.

The Russia’s plan was aimed at averting a US military strike in retaliation for an alleged chemical weapons attack last month in the suburbs of Damascus which the White House blames on the Syrian government.

The US, Israel and France have adopted the rhetoric of war against Syria over allegations that the Syrian government was behind a recent chemical attack near Damascus.

The call for military strike intensified after the militants operating inside Syria and the foreign-backed Syrian opposition claimed on August 21 that hundreds had been killed in a government chemical attack on militant strongholds in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar. The Syrian government has strongly denied the claim, accusing the militants of the attack.

By Fars News Agency

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.