The spokesman for Iran’s UN mission in New York has dismissed as “baseless” recent accusations leveled in a US media outlet against the Islamic Republic.
Alireza Miryousefi categorically denied the allegation in a recent report carried by the Wall Street Journal that the Islamic Republic has asked “militants in Iraq” to retaliate against US interests in case of an attack on Syria.
Miryousefi said such unfounded claims are meant to “provoke [the US] Congress” to authorize a strike on Syria.
The Wall Street Journal claimed in a report on Friday that the United States “has intercepted an order from Iran to militants in Iraq to attack the U.S. Embassy and other American interests in Baghdad in the event of a strike on Syria,” citing US officials, whom it did not name.
The Iranian official said such accusations are aimed at fanning the flames of the ongoing crisis in Syria and inciting US lawmakers to authorize another destructive war in the Middle East.
“One should remember that reliance on such intelligence reports from anonymous US officials will lead to another disaster similar to the Iraq tragedy,” Miryousefi said.
The administration of US President Barack Obama has been campaigning for strikes against Syria since August 21, when the militants operating inside the Middle Eastern country and its foreign-backed opposition claimed that over a thousand people had been killed in a government chemical attack on the outskirts of Damascus.
The Syrian government categorically rejected the accusation.
Blatant calls for war by the US administration have not faded despite reluctance by some of its closest allies to participate in the US war plans.
Obama has sought authorization for the strikes on Syria from a skeptical Congress.
The UN, Iran, Russia, and China have warned against war.
By Press TV
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.