Russia detects ballistic ‘objects’ fired in Mediterranean

The Russian Defense Ministry says it has detected two “ballistic targets” fired toward the eastern part of the Mediterranean from the sea’s central part.

The launch of the ballistic objects was detected at 10:16 Moscow time (06:16 GMT) by a radar system in the southern Russian city of Armavir, a Defense Ministry spokesman said, Russia’s Ria Novosti reports.

The objects detected by the Russian radar have fallen into the sea, according to a “diplomatic source in the Syrian capital” cited in the report.

The Russian embassy in Syria also said there are no signs of a missile attack in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

On August 21, the militants operating inside Syria and the foreign-backed Syrian opposition claimed that 1,300 people had been killed in a government chemical attack on militant strongholds in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar.

A number of Western countries, including the US, France, and the UK, were quick to adopt the rhetoric of war against Syria despite the fact that Damascus categorically rejected having had any role in the chemical attack.

On Tuesday, August 27, speculations became stronger about the possibility of a military attack on Syria. Media outlets reported US plans for likely surgical attacks, which would be in the form of “cruise-missile strikes,” and “could rely on … US destroyers in the Mediterranean [Sea].” The plan was said to be awaiting US President Barack Obama’s go-ahead.

Later, however, domestic and international calls against a potential war seemed to have forced some of the warmongering countries to tone down their stances.

On August 29, the British parliament voted against participation by Britain, the United States’ closest ally, in any potential military intervention in Syria. While the British government had primarily sought a second vote in the parliament as well, it ruled out any such vote on September 2, saying that the parliament “has spoken,” and that the government “has absolutely no plans to go back to parliament.”

On Friday, August 30, NATO also distanced itself from participating in any military intervention in Syria, with the chief of the Western military coalition, Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, saying he did not “foresee any NATO role” in a war on Syria.

Washington has remained defiant, saying that it is willing to go ahead with its plans for a strike on Syria without the approval of the United Nations or even the support of its allies. However, US President Barack Obama said on Saturday, August 31 that his administration will first seek authorization from the Congress.

While the US and Britain for now seem to have paused in rushing to war, France has nevertheless been seeking to bolster the case for military intervention, releasing “evidence” that the Syrian government has been behind the August 21 attack. French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said on Monday, September 2, 2013, “It’s not for France to act alone. The president is continuing his work of persuasion to bring together a coalition without delay.”

This comes despite warnings from the UN, as well as Iran, Russia, and China against war.

By Press TV

 

The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.

1 comment

Get RSS Feed