TEHRAN (FNA)- France’s foreign minister said on Monday no decision had been made yet on whether to take military action in response to the alleged poison gas attack in Syria.
“The decision has not been taken,” Laurent Fabius told Europe 1 radio. “There has to be a proportional reaction … and that will be decided in the coming days.
“All options are envisaged. The only one that is not on the table is to not do anything.”
Meantime, Syrian sources said on Monday that US Secretary of State John Kerry has assured Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem that Washington will not launch a military attack on Syria.
“During his phone talks with Muallem on August 22, Kerry conferred with his Syrian counterpart on finding a political solution to the crisis in Syria, and assured him that no military intervention will be made by the US in Syria,” an informed source, who asked for anonymity due to the secrecy of the issue, told FNA on Monday.
According to the source, Muallem has underlined during his phone talk with the US State Secretary that Syria won’t sit silent if attacked by the US and its allies.
“The US secretary of state also discussed with Muallem facilitating the UN fact-finding team’s investigation into the use of chemical weapons in Syria,” the source added.
Kerry’s assurance to Syria came after US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel suggested Saturday the Pentagon is moving forces into place ahead of possible military action against Syria, even as President Barack Obama voiced caution.
Western officials continue hyping Wednesday’s allegations of a chemical weapons strike, saying that they believe such an attack probably happened even though they don’t have any actual proof to back that up.
The Iran Project is not responsible for the content of quoted articles.